Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Baseball Bat.

I want a guy who carries a baseball bat.

Not literally... But when I think of one of my best friends, I think of her husband and always think of him with a baseball bat in hand, and a catchers mitt and chest protection too.

Because that is what he is to and for her. He is a guardian. He smashes away things of this world, protecting his wife. Counting things as lies and demanding only that she hear and receive truth so she doesn't have to live in the hold of others, or Satan's, deceit. He stands up for her when situations call for more of her than she could have to give. He fights for her, with her. He is her protector and shield about her. He is like a baseball bat, catchers glove, fielders mitt, and protective gear all in one for her.

I meet lots of guys. I meet no men with baseball bats. I meet guys who shy away from anything that isn't funny, comical, or intellectual. I meet guys who can discuss Biblical truth til the cows come home, but struggle to consistently make choices that reflect a life that lives it. I meet guys full of seminary knowledge, but without the balls to be missionaries on their street corners, much less as a cute girl out (not counting me). I meet guys who will sit across the table and hear a one sentence story about my year background as a response to the posed: "why aren't you nannying?" ... (yes, a definitely pause, and conversation killer right there), and I have yet to have ONE, even ONE respond with anything. Anything.

Perhaps one day, instead, someone could be like a first base coach and draw in closer for an instant. Perhaps one day, someone will say even one thing that will affirm me, or my situation, or the general episode, that let me know that they even heard me.

Or, as I put to my friends Kels and Kate a couple weeks back... "A guy who will just hold my hand." That doesn't even require him to come up with something to say. It simply means he had the strength, the balls, the courage enough to sit there with me and go through that tiny moment alongside of me. I'm not asking to vouch a lifetime, or a next date, or even a first. Not even a romantic notion. Just Christian brotherhood in the form of strength that holds my hand for a minute, or simply just says, "Wow, I'm sorry...."

So in the form of what this means in this season, but also in larger life, I want a guy who holds a baseball bat. Who will fight for me at each plate along the diamond. Who will rejoice with me at home plate. Who guards against the lies that deceive me. The discouragement that hinders me. The people who dishonor me. The world that threatens me.

Like my friend, I want a guy that holds a baseball bat.

~
PS -- No, I don't mean perfect. I mean human. But willing. And strong.

No comments: